At the beginning of the XVIII-the century the Romano-Catholic community from Gherla was served by fraciscan medicants priests who were commuting from Dej to hold the holy masses. In 1748, the construction fo the new church start, on a terrain lot offered by the mayor of the time, Daniel Todor. The buidling is finished and sanctified in 1758. In the following years the Mary of Loretto Chapel will be built (1760) and the eastern wing of the cloister (1766). Next year the two stone altars, in baroque style, dedicated to St. Anton and St. Francisc. The church is oriented, accoridng to the tradition, on the West-east ax (with the altar on the East), and is included in the architectural complex of the Franciscan Monastery from Gherla.